Mice are a problem for homeowners any time of the year, even though they are typically associated with the fall and winter seasons, especially in the northern part of the country where the weather becomes especially cold and they are forced to seek warm shelter, but just because the fall and winter months are warmer in Texas, that does not mean that mice are going to stay outside where they belong.
Mice are attracted to homes that offer them easy access to their basic needs of food, water, and shelter. Mice are considered to be commensal, this means that unfortunately as our habitat has invaded theirs, they have come to rely on us for their basic needs. Let the professionals at Innovative Pest Control help you to keep mice out of your Texas home all year long!
Common Threats That Mice Bring To Your Home
When it comes to mice there is one simple truth to know, they are not good houseguests and need to be kept out of homes for many different reasons including:
- Mice spread disease. Mice are responsible for transmitting some pretty serious bacteria and diseases to people including salmonella and the very serious hantavirus.
- Mice cause significant structural damage. Mice have very sharp front incisors that are continuously growing. To keep their teeth from overgrowing mice chew on everything and anything. Inside of a home, this means that they can and will chew through pipes, drywall, flooring, wires, and insulation.
- Mice destroy personal items. Mice will chew through clothing, furniture, picture, books, boxes, and other personal items.
- Mice contaminate food and food prep areas with their saliva, urine, and feces. Mice have no problem chewing holes in food packaging and helping themselves to your pantry items. As they travel to access food sources they will crawl over and through counters, appliances, cabinets, and utensil drawers contaminating them as they go.
- Mice are noisy and stressful. When mice are in your home there is no way you are going to sleep soundly at night. You are going to lay awake at night, not only listening to their tiny feet scampering above your home’s ceilings and behind its walls but wondering how they got in and how you are going to get rid of them!
Rodent Prevention & Treatment
Now that you know a bit more about why you really shouldn’t have mice living in your home, we want to provide you with some helpful, easy to accomplish preventative tips to help keep them out of your home throughout the year. The most important step to take to prevent a mouse infestation is to inspect the exterior of your home sealing any holes, openings, and cracks found; a mouse only needs a space roughly the diameter of a pencil to squeeze into your home through! Inspect your home’s exterior windows and doors caulking any spaces found around them, make sure that screens and weather stripping are completely intact, and place door sweeps underneath of all exterior doors. Limit any food sources by making sure that outdoor trash cans have locking lids, pick up fallen fruits or vegetables from gardens, and pick up any uneaten pet food. Inside your home regularly remove trash, keep food either in the refrigerator or in plastic or glass containers with air-tight lids, quickly clean-up crumbs and spills, and routinely clean-up behind large appliances. It is also a good idea to clear out the clutter from in your home, the more clutter, the more places mice have to hide and nest in.
If mice have found their way inside, don’t fret; at Innovative Pest Control we have the services needed to get them out and keep them out all year long! Our rodent control programs can provide you with the rodent monitoring and control services needed to keep your Texas home a mouse free home. In addition to keeping rodents out, our programs provide the comprehensive services needed to keep a wide-range of nuisance and damaging household insects out as well. Choose to have a pest free home by choosing to partner with Innovative Pest Control and implement our year-round pest control services today!