Depending on what you have read about termites, you may have heard that they are not as much of a problem during the fall and winter months. This is not entirely true, at least not for Texas. It is true for more northern states where it gets colder during the wintertime. If you are thinking, “Doesn’t it get cold here in Texas?” Yes, it does, but not cold enough for termites to be bothered. This makes termites in Tyler a year-round problem and means your home is at risk if it is not protected.
What Types Of Termites Are Most Active In Fall?
Here in Texas, there are several species of termites. The two biggest threats to your home are eastern subterranean termites and Formosan subterranean termites. Formosan termites are not just active during the fall, but swarming as well. If you aren’t aware of what swarming is, it is an act where fully mature termite colonies release winged termite “swarmers.” These swarmers have the job of finding new places to build nests. If your home has what these swarmers are looking for, you could be finding termite damage in your home by this time next year.
What Termite Damage Looks Like
Hopefully, at this point, your home does not already have termites, but just to make sure, here is some common termite damage you can keep an eye out for.
- Small mud tubes running up your home’s exterior foundation
- Galeries chewed through wood.
- Bubbling wallpaper/paint.
- Dipping floorboards
- Buckling walls.
- Hollow sounding wood.
- Overly squeaky floorboards.
Our Steps For Preventing Termites
- Fix leaks around your home.
- Install dehumidifiers in your basement, especially if it is often humid.
- Make sure your drains are in good working order and properly channeling water away from your home.
- Repair or replace water-damaged and softened wood.
- Trim bushes and branches away from the exterior of your home.
- Keep your yard clean of organic debris such as stick piles.
When To Call In The Professionals
The biggest problem with using termite damage to identify termites in your home is that it is often not noticeable until it becomes severe. Don’t wait till your floorboards are dipping to find out if you have termites. Give the professionals here at Innovative Pest Control a call. We will send one of our trained pest technicians out your way ASAP to inspect your home for termites. If termites are found, they will talk you through removal and exclusion options. For information on how we can keep your home termite-free year-round, reach out to us today.